125th anniversary of Haymarket Events
A series of forums and events to mark the 125th anniversary of the Haymarket Tragedy. Our activities culminated on May Day, when the restored Haymarket monument was unveiled.
Over 1,000 participants were present at the re-dedication of our restored Haymarket monument. Speakers at the celebration of the rededication and restoration of the Haymarket Martyrs Monument in Forest Home Cemetery, 863 Des Plaines Avenue, Forest Park on May 1, 2011, included:
- Ann Dembinski, President, Local 79, Canadian Union of Public Employees;
- Michael Carrigan, President, Illinois AFL-CIO;
- Terrance O'Sullivan, General President, Laborer's Union;
- Jorge Ramirez, President, Chicago Federation of Labor;
- Roberta Lynch, Deputy Director, AFSCME Council 31;
- Karen Lewis, President, Chicago Teachers Union;
- James Williams, President, International Union of Painters and Allied Trades, AFL-CIO;
- J. Eric Cobb, Executive Director, Building and Construction Trades Council of South Central Wisconsin;
- and Illinois Supreme Court Chief Justice Thomas Kilbride along with other labor leaders and activists are participating.
- Chicago Federation of Musicians members and musicians Cindy Fee, Rob Landis, and Bucky Halker will perform.
The Illinois Labor History Society is a membership organization founded in 1969 to encourage the preservation and study of labor history materials of the Illinois Region, and to arouse public interest in the profound significance of the past to the present.Dim lights Embed Embed this video on your site